Cyber crime fighters September 26, 2008Posted by cyberpatrol in cybercrime.
Tags: Anonymous, cybercrime
add a comment
In the spring of 2007, the government of Estonia, a small independent Baltic state and former Soviet republic, made the decision to remove a Soviet war memorial from the city of Tallinn. The Russian government expressed its disapproval of the action.
Shortly thereafter, Estonia’s national IT network was subject to a cyber attack so intense and prolonged that it impacted the government’s ability to function. Web sites and servers of banks, broadcasters, newspapers and telecoms were also assaulted. The situation was so dire, that – after three weeks – NATO experts were called in to help.
While this type of cyber warfare is the extreme of cyber crime, there is no doubt that as people, business and the public sector have increased their online presence, so have criminals.
Over a year ago, Mourad Debbabi (Concordia Institute for Information Systems Engineering and Concordia University Research Chair Tier I in Information Systems Security) was invited to a meeting that included Canadian law enforcement officials, as well representatives of the banking, telecommunications, financial and public sectors.
“I was the only academic present,” he said.
The purpose of the meeting was to develop a national organisation to fight cyber crime. One of the speakers, an agent from the FBI, described a relatively new organization in the US called the National Cyber Forensics Training Alliance (NCFTA).
The NCFTA is neutral collaborative venue where critical confidential information about cyber incidents can be shared discreetly among industry, academia and law enforcement. The Alliance facilitates advanced training, promotes security awareness to reduce cyber-vulnerability, and conducts research in cyber forensics.
At the end of the meeting, participants asked themselves if such an organization was required in Canada.
“The answer was a resounding, unanimous yes,” said Debbabi.
NCFTA Canada was formally launched in July 2008 with Concordia as its primary host. While the legalities of the collaborative effort are still in negotiation among the partners – which include Bell Canada, the Competition Bureau of Canada, Rogers Communications, and Microsoft Canada – technical operations are starting this fall.
Debbabi, whose research focuses on cyber forensics, explained that the mandate of the organization is quite broad.
“Cyber crime includes any criminal activity where computers or computer systems are either the tool or the target – child porn and exploitation, identity theft, hacking, fraud, and any kind illegal digital transaction.”
Partners will target reductions in and improved defense against activities such as SPAMming, phishing and denial of service attacks like those launched against organizations such as the Church of Scientology earlier this year.
Debbabi underlined that these types of attacks account for billions of lost dollars and uncountable hours of lost productivity each year.
He is currently serving as NCFTA Canada’s Vice-President and a member of the Board of Directors, where his role is to, “ oversee establishment of the organization, its operation and management, and student and research project supervision.”
He is pleased Concordia was chosen as the host institution because, “we have the largest concentration of researchers focused on IT Security and cyber forensics in Canada.”
CIISE offers a master’s degree in the area, which currently has more than 150 students.
Debbabi believes the partnership created through NCTFA will expand students’ access to real world training opportunities and industry’s access to emerging means of dealing with threats.
“As a researcher, I know when I give a forensic toolkit to cyber investigators for testing and evaluation, I will receive significant feedback which will help in the development of better tools. NCFTA Canada is really all about increasing our efficiency at fighting cyber crime. Alone, none of us can achieve much, together we are very much better.”
Tennessee: Grand jury doesn’t indict student in Palin e-mail case September 25, 2008Posted by cyberpatrol in 4chan.org, Anonymous, Hacking.
Tags: 4chan, Hacking, palin
add a comment
A federal grand jury in Chattanooga ended its session Tuesday without indicting a University of Tennessee student who authorities believe may have hacked into vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s personal e-mail account.
The FBI’s investigation into David Kernell’s activities, however, is ongoing, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.
The U.S. attorney’s office in Knoxville is overseeing the case, but U.S. Attorney Russ Dedrick declined to comment Tuesday on when, or if, another grand jury will resume hearing evidence from the FBI’s investigation.
“Grand juries can pursue investigations for many sessions,” Mr. Dedrick said.
The U.S. attorney’s office in Chattanooga confirmed Monday that the local federal grand jury would be evaluating the case Tuesday. Grand juries are responsible for hearing basic evidence in a case and then deciding whether to indict a suspect for a specific crime.
Grand jury proceedings are not open to the public, and it is not known what evidence the grand jury here might have heard Tuesday in relation to the case against Mr. Kernell.
Three students arrived at the federal courthouse on Georgia Avenue about 8:45 a.m. Tuesday to testify about Mr. Kernell, the son of state Rep. Michael Kernell, D-Memphis. The students did not provide their names and did not answer questions about the case. An attorney with them from Maryville, Tenn., declined comment, as well.
The students were allowed to leave the courthouse through the back door, where members of the public generally are not allowed.
FBI agents from Knoxville exited the front doors of the courthouse about 10 a.m., also declining to comment on any aspect of the case.
A hacker last week broke into one of the Yahoo Inc. e-mail accounts used by Alaska Gov. Palin, the running mate of presidential candidate Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. The McCain campaign acknowledged the act, calling it illegal and an invasion of her privacy.
The FBI began investigating Mr. Kernell over the weekend, according to the Justice Department. Investigators searched his apartment in Knoxville, but they did not file any criminal charges immediately.
Mr. Kernell, 20, is an economics major at UT. Kernell family attorney Wade V. Davies wrote in a letter Monday that “the Kernell family wants to do the right thing, and they want what is best for their son.”
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
Finland school shooting: Police questioned and released suspect over YouTube video September 23, 2008Posted by cyberpatrol in 4chan.org, Anonymous, cybercrime.
Tags: Anonymous, Matti Saari, Pekka-Eric Auvinen
A gunman who shot dead ten people at a school in Finland before killing himself had been questioned by police earlier this week over YouTube videos showing him at a shooting range, the country’s interior minister said.
Police were alerted to a clip posted on the video sharing website showing a young man wielding a handgun at a shooting range, Anne Holmlund said.
“Police reached him on Monday, Sept 22, and asked him to be interviewed regarding the shooting video,” Ms Holmlund said. He was later released.
She said the man arrested, identified by the school’s headmaster as Matti Juhani Saari, had a temporary permit for a .22 calibre pistol and that the permit had not been withdrawn.
Link: Video report on massacre
At 11am (800 GMT) today, a man stormed the vocational school in the town of Kauhajoki, 120 miles from Helsinki, in northwest Finland, firing “many shots” that left ten people dead. He died later in hospital after turning the gun on himself.
“Within a short space of time I heard several dozen rounds of shots, in other words it was an automatic pistol,” school janitor Jukka Forsberg told Finnish broadcaster YLE.
“I saw some female students who were wailing and moaning and one managed to escape out of the back door.”
“He also shot towards me, did not say anything and once the bullets started to whizz by I started running for my life.”
Finnish media said YouTube clips of a man firing a gun appeared to be linked to the shooting. In one of them, a young man wearing a leather jacket fires several shots in rapid succession with a handgun at what appears to be a shooting range.
The posting was made five days before the shooting and the location was given as Kauhajoki. The posting included a message saying: “Whole life is war and whole life is pain. And you will fight alone in your personal war.”
The shooting raised the spectre of the massacre at a Finnish high school in Jokela, north of Helsinki, less than a year ago.
On November 7, 2007, 18-year-old student Pekka-Eric Auvinen shot six students, the school’s headmistress and a nurse before turning his gun on himself.
Auvinen, who had posted footage foreshadowing the November 2007 massacre on YouTube, was a student at the school.
In the video, Pekka-Eric Auvinen, 18, described himself as a “social Darwinist” who would “eliminate all who I see unfit”.
The 2007 attack triggered a fierce debate about gun laws in the Nordic nation with deep-rooted traditions of hunting in the sub-Arctic wilderness.
With 1.6 million firearms in private hands, Finland is an anomaly in Europe, lagging behind only the US and Yemen in civilian gun ownership.
Oprah Dead: SICK HOAX September 20, 2008Posted by cyberpatrol in 4chan.org, Anonymous, Hacking, hoax.
Tags: 4chan, hoax
add a comment
Reports of Oprah Winfrey being found dead have swept the internet, although no reliable news organisations were being sourced. There’s a reason for that: SHE’S NOT DEAD.
According to wikinews.org, it’s part of an internet hoax that was either started by a group known as Anonymous or from a website 4chan.org. Either way, it’s sick.
Soulja goes to war over MySpace hack attack September 3, 2008Posted by cyberpatrol in Anonymous, cybercrime, Hacking, myspace.
Tags: cybercrimes, myspace
US rapper Soulja Boy has been targeted by cyber vandals who defaced his MySpace profile and published his email and YouTube passwords on the internet.
The hackers, reportedly part of the popular online community 4chan, contacted Soulja Boy demanding he hand over $US2500 in order to regain control over his account.
The rapper, who published tracks on the internet before becoming a mainstream star in September last year with the number one hit Crank That (Soulja Boy), refused.
His MySpace page was then wiped out and replaced with obscenity-laden messages where Soulja Boy purportedly declared his homosexuality and told fans to “go f— yourselves”.
The miscreants also published the rapper’s passwords – including to his email, firstname.lastname@example.org – on the internet, and flooded his website’s online chatroom.
The saga ended when Soulja Boy’s record label, Interscope, contacted MySpace and demanded the account be returned.
His YouTube and email accounts have also been returned, Soulja Boy said in a recent YouTube video.
“Niggas sent me a message on MySpace saying I got your shit, send me $2500 if you want it back,” he says in the video.
“I texted back saying f— you, bitch, do what you do, the mother f—er got to be f—ed up. And then after that he deleted all my shit and I was like well darn the nigga wasn’t bluffin.”
Soulja Boy says in the video that he was going to offer a $US10,000 reward to anyone who revealed the hacker’s identity but this was unnecessary as he had already caught them.
“On the next video y’all stay tuned to see what we did with this hacker – we gotta make an example out of this shit.”
The video was published last week and since then Soulja Boy has published a number of other clips on YouTube, none of which mention the hacking saga.
The hack appears to be unrelated to a recent online feud with gangsta rap veteran Ice-T, who labelled Soulja Boy’s music garbage that was killing hip-hop. The comments started a war on YouTube and Souljah Boy responded with a cartoon that mocked Ice-T and his dancing.
Celebrities’ MySpace pages are regular targets for hackers looking to increase their notoriety or expose private photos and messages.
In 2007, a person wanting to impress a hacker group broke into the MySpace profiles of Justin Timberlake, Hilary Duff and MTV personality Tila Tequila. Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Miley Cyrus Alicia Keys and Nas have also had their profiles compromised in the past.
Interesting background data on Dalin cyberterror conviction September 3, 2008Posted by cyberpatrol in 4chan.org, Anonymous, cyberterrorism.
Tags: cyberterrorism, jeremy dalin
add a comment
Teen gets probation for school threat
By Tony Gordon | Daily Herald Staff
Published: 8/16/2008 12:05 AM
A few minutes of Internet fantasy crashed hard into Jeremie Dalin’s life Friday.
The 18-year-old from Fox River Grove left the Lake County courthouse in Waukegan with a heavy heart and a long list of obligations to meet for his crime of making a threat against Stevenson High School.
Dalin was convicted in June of falsely making a terrorist threat for a posting he placed on an Internet message board that said, in part, “many will die at Adlai E. Stevenson High School on 10/31.”
And although the message was on the Internet for only five to 11 minutes on Oct. 29, it touched off a panic and other events that have left Dalin a felon.
Dennis Oh, 18, a Stevenson student, saw the message, made a copy of it and posted it at other sites, and e-mailed copies to some friends after being told by police not to discuss it.
Lincolnshire police detective Adam Hyde testified Friday that what Oh did sparked a fear so great in the community that the school received more than 500 phone calls the next day from parents concerned about the threat.
Oh, of 1245 Deerfield Parkway, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor obstruction of justice in March and was placed on court supervision.
By 4:30 p.m. on Oct. 30, anti-terrorism experts from the FBI were standing in Dalin’s driveway at 209 Bridle Path to begin sending him on the journey that ended with his conviction.
In his statement to the court, Dalin said he has sought consolation through the Internet since moving here from Switzerland three years ago.
He said he found solace there as he struggled to deal with isolation, the difficulty of learning a new language and troubles within his family.
“The only real person that wouldn’t judge me, talk back, be angry or mistreat me was the computer,” Dalin read from a letter to Associate Judge Christopher Stride. “To me, the Internet was a place where I could vent, cry and swear without anyone judging me.”
Both Lake County Assistant State’s Attorney Mary Stanton and defense attorney Michael Levinsohn asked Stride to spare Dalin any jail time, and the judge quickly agreed.
Stanton did request a sentence that would impress upon Dalin and others who may be tempted to act in a similar fashion that such an activity was not a joke.
“People have to understand what is going on in this country since Columbine and other scenes where armed people have descended on schools,” she said. “We live in a different world now.”
Stride said he recognized Dalin’s remorse and lack of prior criminal record, but also said Dalin needed to look into the face of what he had done.
“Imagine how those parents felt that day who did not know if their children were safe,” he told Dalin. “Parents whose hearts must have been in their throats thinking they had kissed their children goodbye that morning and now might never see them again.”
Stride sentenced Dalin to two years on probation and warned him he could face up to 15 years in prison if he violates any conditions.
He also ordered Dalin to write a letter of apology to Stevenson High School, which after it is approved by Dalin’s probation officer and the judge, will have to be personally delivered to school officials by Dalin.
Dalin also must complete 300 hours of community service, which Stride said he wants to be concentrated on Dalin sharing his experiences with other students.
Lastly, he ordered Dalin’s Internet use be strictly monitored and restricted to web sites approved for education and employment purposes.